The resurrection of the Lord Jesus is the decisive event in determining who he is and what he’s done. If he rose from the grave, he is who he said he is (God the Son) and did what he said he did (redeemed a people for God).
Think of this: if Christ truly rose from the grave, then all of these things are true:
- The wrath of God is turned away from believers; we have peace with God.
- Believers are now adopted children of God, c0-heirs with Christ.
- The law’s demands are fulfilled.
- The works of the devil are destroyed; he is defeated.
- Our sins are forgiven; sin no longer has power over believers.
- Death itself has been overcome.
- Believers have life in Christ, union with God.
If Christ has not been raised from the dead, then the opposite of all this is true and our faith is in vain.
But the fact is that Christ HAS been raised from the dead. Here is a very good article from Michael Horton arguing for why it is reasonable for anyone to believe and trust in Christ’s resurrection: http://www.whitehorseinn.org/blog/2011/04/23/risen-indeed-3/ Christ is risen indeed!